Get away to a remote tropical island and get up close and personal with giant turtles. 2 days 1 night. Details at http://saildarwin.com.au/turtle-dreaming-tour
- Witness giant sea turtles nesting
- Learn to throw a spear with a woomera
- Drop a line and try hooking a salmon or jewfish
- Experience real sailing on a 50ft catamaran (tuition included)
- Sleep in a private air-conditioned cabin, or swag on deck!
Bare Sand Island 60km south west of Darwin is an important turtle nesting site. Part of a chain of islands of strong significance to local Aboriginal people, turtles nest all year round but predominantly between May-October. In the peak of the season in June and July dozens of giant turtles come ashore. Their Larrakia guide will show you how to identify turtle tracks, how to find a turtle nest, and hopefully you'll get to witness a giant turtle as she makes her way up the beach, digs her nest and lays her eggs. Later in the season you may also see the eruption of baby turtle hatchlings from their homes beneath the warm sand, as they begin their scramble towards the water to commence their epic 3000km journey.